“quack quack motherfucker” ~manuel neuer
Bastian Schweinsteiger and I have played together for 16 years, starting in the youth section. - Philipp Lahm
I’m sorry, but look at the way Philipp says “Bastian” before he falls into his arms. He lets himself fall and he breaks down completely. Remember last year when Philipp had to hug Bastian after the game? This time, it’s Bastian’s turn to catch him and hold him close.
1. Congratulations, Mr. Neuer. You not only played a record-season with Bayern, you also proved something very important.
Oh Really? And what?
2. After the dark Kahn- and Lehmann-years you proved: A friendly goalkeeper can also be a great goalkeeper.
The whole younger football-generation is like that. And we goalkeepers at Bayern and in the nationalteam get along really well. We also depend on each other. If one decides to don’t give his all, the goalikeeper-trainig will not be good. You have to support each other, that also helps yourself.
3. Very reasonable, very friendly, but don’t you somethimes feel like biting your oponent in the neck?
I’m not a man-eater. Of, sometimes I’m mad too. But overact like this? That’s no longer cotemporary.
4. Ex-Goalie Toni Schuhmacher hit his fists bloody at the sandbag after failures back then . How du you handle your frustration?
Interesting method, but nothing for me. The time-schedule for games is so tight nowadays, I don’t really have time to think about past matches, so I have to focus an being better next time.
5. Is it annoying that everybody thinks it’s boring for you in the Bayern goal, because you have nothing to do during Bayerns super-season?
No. Not everybody sees that I’m still involved. I talk a lot with my teammates, conduct and organize. That’s also important for the team. I just can’t shine that much for the audience.
6. What is the most difficult matter of your profession?
You get used to everythig: Pressure, hard training …
7. Even to the training under Felix Magath?
Yes, even that. But it’s difficult to be privat. You get recognise everywhere. It’s a real challenge for me to spend a day in the city.
8. What tricks do you use?
Sometimes a hat, sunglasses, but I wouldn’t glue a beard to my face. If someone recognises you like that and takes a picture, you’re in the newspapers with a glued beard, embarrassing … But I don’t want to complain, I have a dreamjob.
9. And it almost didn’t work out with that dreamjob. When you were 19 you had a complex thumb fracture. That could have been the end of your career.
Well, at least the doctor sounded like this during the op. He was known as the “hand-pope from buer”. I didn’t have a general anaesthesia, so I noticed everything and he constantly said “Oh my, how this looks like!” …
10. Exactly want you want to hear in a situation like this …
I lay there and got more and more worried, and then again: “Oh my, there is another!” It was a comminuted fracture. Bone Parts were scattered in the thumb. I had a rough time.
11. Did you have a Plan B, if it hadn’t worked out with football?
I left school after the 12. grade with a vocational diploma (Fachabitur), I focused completely on football. There was no other plan. I completed my internships in physical therapy centres, mainly because I knew the work of physcial therapist from Schalke …
12. 2012 you came from Schalke to Bayern. Was there any kind of fraternity pledging? In England, the new ones have to sing a song.
Luckily, I didn’t have to do anything. But lately we introduced the singing part to the young players who make their debuts. We just told him that everyone had done this. … I think it’s a ritual now.
13. You shall be a good singer. Your favourite song on “SingStar”?
The song were I’m most likely to win is “Father and Son”. But it often is a cluse duel with my brother.
14. Do you still have your pair of dancing shoes?
*laughs* Oh my … No, they are already broken now.
15. What is your favourite style: Tango or Harlem Shake?
Neither one nor the other. I have my own dancing style.
16. And how would you describe your style?
I’m not a pair-dancer, I rather dance alone, but then I stop at nothing! I also dance in the middle of a circle, no problem. One or two drinks before are helpful.
17. Is it true that your girlfriend cuts Mario Gomez’ hair?
If he gets an appointment with her …
18. You are ambassador of the bodycare-products “Team Five” from adidas. How much time a day do you spend in the bathroom?
I’m not one of these guys that has whole shelf full of beauty products, but I set a high value on personal care.
19. Another rumour: You and Bastian Schweinsteiger shall be part of a motor scooter gang.
I have two Vespas, Bastian has one too, and sometimes we drive through the city. But a gang? It’s not like we drive with our Vespas around Munichs Gärtnerplatz all the time.
20. At the end you have time to kiss ass: What makes Pep Guardiola so unique?
Many things. So far I noticed that we didn’t hear anything offically from him. So Jupp Heynckes can do his work in peace. That’s professional and has class.
Manu this season